Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Keswick Mint Sauce.


My husband Quentin and I went to England last spring to visit my sister Melissa who is in Grad School at University of Lancaster. We drove up to the Lake District for a weekend and stayed in Keswick at a B&B. So much fun. That night we found a local pub that had Live music. We had such a fun local experience. The locals (and there were only locals in the pub as we "the tourists" stuck out in the crowd) sang along with the performer. My favorite was an old man who was the first to break into song and the last to finish. He had a twinkle in his eye, a cherry red nose and a happy round face.

We were jet lagged and so hungry. We each ordered burgers and chips (fries). Of course Quentin had a vegi burger. The pub had some great homemade sauces to choose from and I am a sucker for sauces. I started trying some and came across an amazing mint sauce. I put it on my burger and man did it add to the flavor. So mouth watering. We all have talked about this sauce so much since the trip and I have tried to make it several times (with no recipe it is always an experiment) and it has not been quite right.

My mint is in full swing now so today I decided to try it and it came out perfect this time!
Here it is:
  • 2 cups of fresh mint (give or take a bit) - removed any tough large stems but not all stems removed.
  • 2 -3 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar. I have tried several brands af vinegar and many are too Strong and overpowering. I have finally found one I love ; "Private Selections" Balsamic Vinegar.
  • Optional: 3-4 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. My husband if not a huge fan of vinegar so I only put 2 Tbsp of vinegar and the put some olive oil in to tone it down a little.
  • Blend/chop in a good food processor until mint is chopped finely into small flecks in the sauce. I tried to make this in a small old food processor and it would not cut it fine enough. I just got a KitchenAid one and it is so easy!
I would think that with the vinegar it should store in the fridge for quite some time without going bad.

I used this on a cucumber/tomato/bel pepper salad for lunch and then I also spread it on crackers. Like I said above it is amazing on a burger (vegi or meat burger that is). It might be some sort of mint chutney originally but I am calling it the Keswick Mint Sauce.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

This looks yummy! I have a ton of mint growing in my yard and no idea what to do with it. I'll give this a try.

Also, I tagged you. :-)

http://mcfarlanddesigns.blogspot.com/

You don't have to do it if you don't want, but it's kind of a fun way to get new people to visit your blog...

Tamara

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...